The ancient Interamnia (city between two rivers, as the Romans called it) was crossed by the Tordino and Vezzola rivers. The town has very ancient origins, with the first inhabitants dating back to prehistoric times. In the heart of the city stands the Cathedral Basilica: built in 1158, it was enlarged in the fourteenth century and it has been the subject of several interventions, from the fifteenth century to today. The Roman Theatre, not far from the Cathedral, probably dates back to 30 BC. You cannot miss a visit to the Archaeological Museum and Art Gallery, located in Piazza Garibaldi, in the shadowy Villa Comunale.
CIVITELLA DEL TRONTO
The solemn Bourbon Fortress is the emblem of Civitella and a masterpiece of military engineering, that expands over 25.000 metres thus being the most important in Europe.
Built by the Spanish between 1564 an 1576 to resist against the enemy, this fortress has been the last to resist among the bulwarks of the Kingdom of Naples during the conflicts linked to the Risorgimento movement for the independence of Italy. In addition to the enviable panoramic position, the three splendid parade grounds, the ramparts, the inner communication trenches and the Museum illustrating the history of the fortress will amaze any visitor.
Towering beyond the Teramo seaside, this delightful town of great artistic interest has ancient origins going back to the VII-V century B.C. Important Roman colony, Atri was first subjected to Barbarian Invasions and to foreign powers during the Middle Ages and re-emerged only under the dominion of the Lords of Acquaviva. Dating from 1285 and recently restored, the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assuntastands in Piazza Duomo. In the adjoining museum are preserved precious relics. The cloister with two rows of arches and the bell tower completed in the XV century by Antonio da Lodi are also splendid.
Excavated remains of a necropolis near Campovalano testify that it has been inhabited ever since pre-Roman times. During Middle Ages, under the dominion of the Farnese, the most flourishing period ever for this little town, Campli became the meeting point for various painters and artists coming from schools like the ones of Giotto and Raffaelo. They have left behind masterpieces that still enrich the main monuments of the historical centre and of the neighbouring villages: the splendid HYPERLINK Cathedral of Santa Maria in Platea (14th century), the Church of San Francesco with adjoining convent (seat of the archaeological Museum), the 15th-century Convent of San Berardino and the Church dedicated to the Madonna della Misericordia.
“Capital of the traditional ceramics of Abruzzo”. In the Middle-ages, exploiting the special clayey conformation of the territory, a community of Benedictine Monks started a flourishing production of ceramics. Castelli than became home to famous masters who served the Kings of Naples and the noble houses of Rome. The little church of San Donato, that dates back to this “golden period”, has been named the “Sistine Chapel of Italian majolica” by Carlo Levi, because of its marvellous ceiling entirely covered with majolica tiles: the 780 votive tiles decorated with bright colours represent profiles, coat of arms, astronomical symbols, animals and floral patterns.